clear . webmistress . domain . network . art . exit
The name of this domain, "unfaithful mirror", originated in a lyric from a favourite song of mine, Massive Attack's "Teardrop". The lyric reads as "most faithful mirror", but that got me to thinking over the concept of a mirror's being able to be faithful or otherwise, and after a fair bit of thought, I came up with the domain name as it now is. I took a look at it and decided it looked better with a hyphen inserted to separate the words, and I've always liked .net best as a registration suffix (my first and only previous domain was sweetaurora.net). Simple as that, really. :) I registered unfaithful-mirror.net on July 19th, 2004, and have owned and run it ever since.
Want to be hosted on one of my domains? Requirements and what you would get as a hostee are below; please read and, if you feel you fit them and would like to be hosted with me, please feel free to send me an email! ^_^;
What you get...
- Plenty of space & bandwidth - >20MB space negotiable
- Subdomain or folder at joyunending.net or unfaithful-mirror.net, or hosting for your own domain; if you have a science fiction or fantasy fanlisting, next-crisis.org is also an option
- FTP/shell user account
- MySQL & PHPMyAdmin access with support for server-side includes and scripts (i.e. SiteSkin, Enthusiast)
- A host who's online every day & available quickly to handle problems or questions ^_^
Requirements for hosting...
- Over 16 years of age (This is the age of consent in my home country. This is negotiable for unfaithful-mirror.net, but joyunending.net contains adult content.)
- Must know HTML and FTP well enough to manage without my help
- Be able to at least edit a pre-made layout
- Update your site at least every six months (unless all you want is storage, then we can talk)
- Follow DreamHost's terms of service (no illegal content, etc.)
- No photographic pornographic content (artwork negotiable, written erotica is welcome) or content promoting discrimination or hate
- Site navigation and updates must be at least translated into English, French, German or Spanish—otherwise, use any language you choose
If/when you apply, please include the following information in your email:
- Your name
- Your age
- Your first language
- Your country and/or time zone
- An example of your site skills (can be a temporary site, but must be your own work)
- What type of site your hosting request is for
- What subdomain or folder name you would like, or whether you wish hosting for a domain name
- What forwarding email address you would like and what email address you want it forwarded to
- Which domain you would like your site to be hosted under (if applicable): unfaithful-mirror.net, next-crisis.org (science/speculative fiction & fantasy-related subjects only), joyunending.net (fiction, fanfiction or poetry-related only) or frell-that.com
- Whether you require MySQL database(s)
- An estimate of how much space you expect your site to need and/or how much space you would like
- Gold and brown, featuring a promotional shot of Emily Procter.
- Turquoise and black, featuring a promotional shot of Jorja Fox from CSI: Crime Scene Investigation with lyrics from David Sylvian's 'Darkest Dreaming'.
- Shades of violet, featuring Carrie-Anne Moss, promotional shot from The Matrix and screenshots from The Matrix: Revolutions.
- Turquoise, cyan and black, featuring a promotional shot of Marg Helgenberger from CSI: Crime Scene Investigation with lyrics from Killing Heidi's "Weir".
- Black, dark brown and orange, featuring a promotional image of Celes Chere from Final Fantasy VI.
- Gold, peach and pink, featuring a screenshot of Final Fantasy VIII's Rinoa Heartilly.
- Purple, fuschia, blue-violet and black, with butterflies.
- Blue, purple and black, featuring William Petersen and Jorja Fox screenshots from the CSI: Crime Scene Investigation episode "The Accused Is Entitled" with lyrics from Evanescence's "Missing".
- Dark blue, light blue and black, featuring a screenshot of Kathryn Erbe from Law & Order: Criminal Intent and lyrics from Lacuna Coil's "Unspoken".
- Caramel, satin and cinnamon with brown and gold colours and serif fonts.
- Dark red and black, featuring a promotional shot and a screenshot of Jorja Fox from CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.
- Sofia Milos, promotional shots from CSI: Miami in blues, cyans and greens.
- Pop-up layout featuring Terra Branford of Final Fantasy VI, screenshot, in shades of green.
- Torri Higginson, promotional shot from Stargate: Atlantis, in shades of blue.
- Torri Higginson, screenshot from the Stargate: Atlantis episode "Conversion" in seasonal red and green.
- Torri Higginson and Joe Flanigan, screenshot from Stargate: Atlantis episode "The Long Goodbye" in dark green with light green fonts.
- Carrie-Anne Moss, scan from a Maxim photoshoot in black, green, grey and purple.
- Photographs of myself and my friends in sepia.
- Torri Higginson, various images, in bright blue and green against black.
- Emily Procter, photoshoot images, in gold and brown.
- A photograph of a butterfly on ivy leaves, taken in my local churchyard and edited in Photoshop.
- Hiatus layout, Mary McDonnell in Evidence of Blood, multi-colour on black.
- Morena Baccarin from Firefly, blue-green, black and brown on beige.